Friday, June 3, 2011

Pruning (verb): Trim (a tree, shrub, or bush) by cutting away dead or overgrown branches or stems, esp. to increase fruitfulness and growth.


This past weekend at training I have come to realize that I am like one of the apple trees from the Wizard of Oz. Dorothy gets hungry and is excited to find apple trees. As she picks an apple, the tree slaps her hand and grouchily says, "What do you think you're doing?!...How would you like to have someone come along and pick something off of you?!".
I have been that tree who refuses pruning. Lately I have been frustrated with myself and get myself stuck feeling terrible, but can't figure out why. It finally occurred to me this past Sunday evening while listening to Reid and Steve talk about the devotions that all of the things that I feel bad about are the things in me that God wants to prune and change. I need to stop refusing and let him take things off of the tree (me) without pushing his hand away. He is pruning me and I have been refusing even though pruning is a good thing so that I may grow in Him.
What I'm supposed to do now has to do with dying to myself and living in Christ. I am a new creation! I It's hard for me to let go and it is something that I have been working on, but I am excited to continue in this daily journey of surrendering and yielding to the Father. No more fighting it or slapping his hand away.
Thank you Lord for grace and your never ending Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment