Thursday, March 31, 2011

Am I his Reflection?

It's always interesting to think about how differently we would act if Jesus were to be literally / physically walking on the earth with us right now. Someone once asked me, "If Jesus was driving in the car ahead of you, would you still impatiently honk your horn at him? If Jesus were the homeless guy on the corner, would you still drive by without recognizing him?" I used to and still do forget that showing love for others is one way to show love for Christ. Especially when I consider the fruits of the spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. If I am led by the Spirit and have all of the above, then I contradict my character when I impatiently honk my horn or neglect to acknowledge the homeless guy on the side of the street. Love for Christ --> love for people.
If Christ were walking side-by-side me today, sitting next to me on the couch, how would my plans for the day differ? If I saw the holes in his hands, the thorn scars on his head, the hole in his side, the look in his eyes, how would my life change? When I wake up in the morning, do I see myself or see Christ? Do I live for myself or live for Christ? Do I fight for myself or fight for Christ? It's easy to answer that question when he is physically sitting right next to me, but what about when he's not? Am I still his witness? Do others see Christ walking alongside me, holding my hand?
As I think about this summer and think about what it means to model to others, I keep in mind the understanding that I might be the only Jesus some of these campers ever see or encounter. Am I still going to fail to show love, patience, peace, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control? Or am I going to model to others that Christ is love, patient, peaceful, kind, good/just, faithful, gentle, and self-controlled?
Jesus, I am going to strive, like never before, to be your reflection.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Josh - your post reminded of a kid's song and two verses.

    Kid's Song - An old kid's song I used to sing was "joy is the flag flown high in the castle of my heart for king is in residence there."


    Verse 1 - John 14:16-20 - And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be[c] in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.

    Verse 2 - John 16:5-7 “Now I am going to him who sent me, yet none of you asks me, ‘Where are you going?’ Because I have said these things, you are filled with grief. But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.

    The mystery of Christ's kingdom come within me confounds, convicts, and inspires me like no other riddle. I definitely can't comprehend it but I know He comprehends me and is constantly redeeming my heart and spurring me to redeem or as Bailey says "reprocess" anger/sin in those around me" into mercy and grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post Josh. Super convicting. I love the part that you wrote about literally seeing Jesus in other people and how we would react. I'm not going to lie, from time to time I find myself being the one that gets so caught up in what I'm doing that I miss the things that God is trying to show me about Him. Supes convicting. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete