Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Space... The Final Frontier

I love Star Trek. It's just the truth. I think Star Trek is epic. Sometimes, I even get goosebumps when I think about the opening sequence. "Space… the final frontier… These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise. Its five year mission: To explore strange new worlds. To seek out new life and new civilizations. TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE" cue epic intro music.

I guess, the facts are these: in the future we are going to have spaceships, and warp speeds, and make friends with vaguely human-esque aliens who will be logical, or violent, or just plain bizarre. But in the end everything is going to turn out ok, the Enterprise will complete the mission, and survive to explore another day!

When I was a little kid (ok, even now) one of my favorite things about Star Trek was trying to figure out how the crew was going to get themselves out of the pickle they were in. Generally, some forgotten tool, or twist of fate was the only thing standing between the crew's certain death, and heroic escape. Nothing was ever certain, everything was based on luck, and the combined qualities of the crew.

Yet even with the odds perpetually against them, the crew continued onward, to fulfill their mission. We are called to serve Jesus, and to follow him. This is our "mission." Our final frontier is this world, strange and constantly new. Despite the fact that everything sometimes seems to be working against us, we continue forward. John 12:26 says "if anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also." God gives us such great reward for following him, for serving him. Not like a servant. We do not come and go as we please. We entirely captivated by God's glory.

In Matthew 24 when the word "serve" is used, it comes from the greek Douleuno- to be a slave, to be in bondage. But, as the body of Christ, we serve together in joy, working towards the goal of bringing God's kingdom to every human being on Earth. Each of us has our own qualities that will help us succeed in the end. What a pleasure it is to be given a task to work towards for the sake of our amazing father! The ability to serve, not because it is required for our salvation, which was given to us as a gift, but because we are so in love with Jesus Christ that we would do anything to please him is mind shatteringly rad.

It has been on my heart a lot lately to follow through with my faith, to put myself in uncomfortable situations for the sake of the gospel. I feel the call to step out in faith to serve the Great Romancer. Though we are saved not through works, but through faith, the great commission says that we need to go out and spread the gospel to all nations, and all people. Cue epic intro music.

No comments:

Post a Comment