Wednesday, March 30, 2011

No Big Sunglasses!?

I admit that I find a little to much comfort behind my big sunglasses. I can hide behind them; they are like a barrier separating me from the world. Something about eye contact with people feels so vulnerable. When I make eye contact with someone, I usually feel the immediate need to glance away after just a few seconds. Why is that? Can I even look into Jesus' eyes with my bare-eyes? No big sunglasses!?

When I imagine looking with my bare-eyes into His, I see myself feeling the immediate need to look away because of the uncomfortableness and vulnerability it would bring. I see myself thinking "let me just put my big sunglasses back on, then I can look at You." There is no comfort in hiding my eyes from Him - hiding my fears, doubts, anxieties. But do I believe it? Do I trust it? He calls me (He calls us!) to find comfort in Him, comfort in His eyes and all that they convey. He calls me to look with bare-eyes into His.

7 comments:

  1. Jenna, hilarious! NO BIG SUNGLASSES! It is funny (not haha, but funny Hmmm) how we hide behind so much stuff! Clothes, busy schedules, piercings, tattoos, education, on and on we hide just like in the garden of Eden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the honesty and vulnerability in this post Jenna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna, great post. Thanks for your vulnerability in sharing that. I think we all have are thing...ya know? We try to hide behind something. But your right in the since that we can't hide from Christ. I suppose there is something threatening to our human nature about the vulnerability of looking in Christs eyes. But if we believe in who he says he is...we must trust that they are eyes of love, acceptance, and trust. He can be trusted...its just a matter of walking out in faith sometimes. Thanks for the post...so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reminded of him saying to me "Eyes on me Andy, don't turn around as you walk backwards... look at me... I'm guiding you, don't you trust me?!" Yes! No more hiding! No more shame, He created our beautiful eyes, He does not want them hidden, also people can see Him in us, in our eyes!
    Thanks Jenna!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, I related to this post so much, one in the fact that I legitimately hide behind my sunglasses - I have this irrational idea that my sunglasses make me unrecognizable, to the point where I wont say hello to people because I think they wont recognize me. Its ridiculous. Anyways, I am actually opposite when it comes to eye contact - I do my best to maintain eye contact during a conversation...however, when you mentioned having eye contact with God it made me nervous and uncomfortable. I've come a longggg way in my vulnerability, especially with God, but I still have a longgg way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing so honestly and openly Jenna! I personally don't wear sunglasses, but everyone (definitely including myself) has their facade they can put up for people when they are uncomfortable with being vulnerable and letting the other person in. The idea of looking directly at Christ with no facade or thing to hide behind is terrifying, but at the same time I find freedom in the fact that when he looks at me he sees everything and loves and forgives me as His child!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Jenna... That is so rad!! Glad to have you back for another summer! I can't wait to see what God is going to do through you this summer!

    ReplyDelete