Thursday, March 31, 2011

WAKE UP!!!!!!!!

Last night as I was going to bed I was excited because I didn't have to set an alarm to wake me up in the morning because it is Cesar Chavez day which equals no school. When I woke up this morning I thought that it was around nine or ten because I couldn't see my roommate in her bed and she was going to be leaving around nine so it had to be after then. When I looked at my clock I was amazed because it was only a little after eight and I then realized that my roommate was in her bed still just wrapped up under her blankets so I couldn't see her. As I laid there in my bed for a few minutes I felt God calling me to go spend some time with him, but I postponed and decided that I could get another hour or so of sleep then spend time with God. When I finally got up and did todays devotional it hit me hard. It was only a few hours into my day and I had already put my selfish desires before what God wants for me and from me. As I thought about my past week I realized that every morning I pushed my snooze button a few to many times. Each time I press that button I am loosing ten minutes that I could be spending with christ at the foot of his cross. Christ died for me and nothing I do will get even close to that sacrifice. I thank God so much that "it is by grace i have been saved, through faith... not by works" -Ephesians 2:8-9. Yet i still couldn't sacrifice a little bit of sleep that i didn't really need.
Also, in the past week or so the topic of freedom has come up a lot. I had never really spent much time meditating on what it meant to be truly free. This week a big theme (I guess you could call it that haha) has been that you are not really experiencing the fullness of life with out Christ. In Leviticus 18:5 it says that "if you obey my law and regulations, you will find life through them. I am the Lord." I think that the biggest thing in that is that God really does know what is best for us and that through following him we are truly free. Recently at the church I grew up at part of the talk was about freedom and how there are really two types of freedom. Freedom from external constraints and someone telling you what to do this freedom brings chaos because you are doing what you want to do. The other type of freedom is freedom for living the kind of life we were meant to live. With God we are free!!!!!! Which is so cool!!!
This week God has challenged me to put a letter about the RJW in the letters that I send to my friends back at home while I am at school. Most of these friends do not know Christ. So if you guys could be praying that God would use that as an opportunity to have conversations about Christ that would be awesome.

2 comments:

  1. I will be praying as those letters arrive! Thanks for sharing this Katie! This screams to me "in Discipline there is Freedom!" and the billboard slogan "Freedom ain't free!" May those conversations come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch. Making the connection between hitting that snooze button and choosing ten more minutes of sleep over time with Christ really hits home.

    This quarter I don't start classes till 2pm at the earliest and getting up in the morning and getting my day started has been quite a struggle, but having that perspective of choosing extra sleep vs. time with Christ in the early mornings is convicting enough to get myself out of bed and on my knees!

    And definitely praying for your letters home to friends!

    ReplyDelete