Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Sorority Sacrifice

On the journey back to southern California on Sunday, I was telling Amanda about my reasons for joining a sorority. My friends and I looked at it as an opportunity to go where God's presence was not acknowledged that we might be able to be a representation of Christ for these women. Reflecting on these reasons, I came to the conclusion that I have not been the greatest servant. I have made a few relationships that have included some gospel conversations, and some of the girls have come to Bible study, but beyond that, my influence and my participation have been rather absent. After reading yesterday's devotional, I honestly couldn't say whether I gave off a fragrance of life or of death.
This week is crazy for me with papers and tests, so I was not planning on going to chapter (our weekly sorority meeting). But God compelled me to do something. So I put my papers on hold and went to the meeting. This was the biggest meeting of the year as it included all of the newly initiated women. At the end, I got up in front of over 100 girls and told them about sonshine and the rjw. I have been hesitant to tell them about it because I didn't think I would get anywhere with them (totally underestimating the power of the Holy Spirit). Between last night and this morning, I have had multiple girls approach me and say they want to donate.
Reflecting on freedom this morning carries some weight in this experience. When I over think who to share this experience with, I limit the ability for others to participate. When I exercise my freedom through Christ in relying on Him and knowing that, regardless of the outcome of my encounters with non-believers, He has "made me His own," I display what He can do when we set down our barriers and let praise spill forth from us. Who would not want to surrender to such a faithful God?

7 comments:

  1. Wow. I'm inspired. Thanks for this testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story, Elizabeth! This is super encouraging for me. It also reminds me of the reason why we share about sonshine. We obviously want people to donate, but more importantly sharing becomes a tool to speak about Christ to others. I am confident that as you walked out in faith, it will begin to open up doors to talk to girls more about Christ. So cool! Thanks for sharing this story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DANG THAT IS SOOOO COOL!!! Thanks for sharing, Elizabeth!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth! I will be sharing this story at training weekends for years to come. The amount of donation is irrelevant. Your courage and faithfulness to Christ's gospel is celebrated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "You so totally rock Elizabeth!" (for those of you who understand the reference). It's so rad to hear how when we listen to what God calls us to do (even when to us it seems irrational), God shows up in tremendous ways. Awesome story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto to everyones posts! Way to go Elizabeth for providing the Platform to let the fragrance be blown! An inspiration to us all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. :) you're awesome Elizabeth. Smells like life to me.

    ReplyDelete