Monday, March 28, 2011

AWKWARD!!

Think about that guy (or girl) who always sits in front of you in class, reeking of the wretched smell of body odor (often associated with junior high boys)...come on, you all know that person. Or the person who, before they even walk in the door, you can smell their perfume/cologne. Makes for a pretty AWKWARD class. But, like it was mentioned this weekend, Jesus is the King of Awkward.

We smell, always. And anyone who is around us can smell us. I don't know about you guys, but to me, that is really awkward. But what do we smell like? Are we a pleasing aroma to those around us? Or are they scoffing at us, just as we sometimes scoff at the physical smells of others? Better yet, are we a pleasing aroma to our Father?

Awkwardness always gets our attention. I'd much rather bring about a "good" awkward, than a "bad" one. If I'm gonna smell, I want to smell life to other people. I want to smell love and service, I want to be the aroma of Christ. Sometimes, even that will make people awkward. But I'd rather explain why and how I am the aroma of life, than why I am the aroma of death. Awkwardness is inevitable, we must embrace the awkwardness of smelling (all the time) and make sure we smell good!

On another note: "Jesus saves for you sweet mercy for your brokenness and severe mercy for your pride..." Man, I'm so thankful for the difference between those two mercies. I wouldn't want the "severe" mercy, when I'm sitting on the ground broken in a million pieces. And I don't think the "sweet" mercy would buck me off my high horse. Jesus knows how to get our attention in either circumstance, and I'm so thankful He has different ways of doing so.

Lord, may I be a pleasing aroma, always, to you and those I interact with daily. I want to smell life on to them. And Father, surround me with those who smell life back on to me. Thank you for your mercies, your gentleness and your violence.

2 comments:

  1. Katy I love this: "I wouldn't want the "severe" mercy, when I'm sitting on the ground broken in a million pieces. And I don't think the "sweet" mercy would buck me off my high horse."!! Great image for each... I agree 100%!! and so cool that either way, whether it's sweet or severe, it is still mercy just the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just clicked the "like" button! May the aroma be noticeable.

    ReplyDelete