Thursday, March 31, 2011

Would You Rather.....

All throughout high school, I hated eating breakfast. Not because I didn't think it tasted good or that it was the better thing for my body, I just simply never wanted to eat breakfast. My life in high school was always go go go... especially in the mornings. I am not a morning person. I never have been. My roommate, over the course of this year has come to learn that I need a few minutes in the morning before I jump into anything -- I wake up in the mornings and it is not my first desire to jump into a great conversation with my roommate. However, with that said, I love jumping into a great conversation with Christ. But to be completely honest, I find it difficult to wake up in the mornings. My bad habit from high school followed me into college. I don't wake up early enough in the mornings to go to the dining hall and eat breakfast. I have always told myself that those last few minutes are sleep are so beneficial to me and they are more important to going to eat breakfast. We sometimes do the same with God. We tell ourselves that just a few more minutes of sleep will be so much more beneficial to our day. With that said would you rather spend a few more minutes sleeping or would you rather spend that time growing in your relationship with Christ?

I am in no way perfect at waking up in the morning. Mornings are a struggle. There are nights in college when I stay up way too late studying or working on other homework and then the mornings come faster than I would have hoped. To be honest, there are those days where I slip and I don't take my quiet time and accept Christ invitation to breakfast. Later in the day though, I realize that my day would have been better if I had accepted the invitation. I let what is going on in my life control me. I let it consume me. That is where I get stuck. I can't let those things consume me. I need to let Christ consume me. I was talking with a friend earlier today about how God has been working in our lives lately. Both she and I have had awesome weeks... Why? Because we both have put aside the other things of life and surrendered to Christ. It was so encouraging to talk with my friend. She was telling me how every night at 8, regardless of how much homework she has left to do, she puts everything else on hold. She spends the next three hours focusing on her relationship with Christ and those around her. I was telling her about this blog and how great it has been only a week in. She said it was an encouragement to her to hear what an encouragement it has been to me this week. Fun how God works like that.

So my challenge to myself in past weeks, in this week and in weeks to come, has to been to let God in and fully consume me. I need to accept his invitation to breakfast. Starting my day with Christ is so much greater than beginning my day a few minutes later. I hear Jesus calling me. Will I answer?! Of course!!!! Will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment