Thursday, March 31, 2011

YES

Reading everyone’s blogs has been so exciting and such an encouragement. My new favorite thing is signing on during the day just to see what gets added!

I love the imagery of John 21. Can you see it too? The day is coming to and end and I picture the disciples sitting around, perhaps at the dinner table, without a clue of what to do with their time or lives. Peter speaks up “I’m going to go fish.” The rest shrug their shoulders and say “Yeah, ok. We’ll go too.” Perhaps they’re processing what they've experienced or are still in awe of the events that transpired over the past week or so. Either way, something big just happened and I’d probably be in the same place of asking myself: now what? Where do we go from here? Peter’s reaction to Jesus answers that question!

Freshman year of college I was introduced to the song “The Question” by the Old 97’s and got so excited when I saw it on a Scrubs re-run a couple days later. In the episode, Turk asks Carla again and again to marry him, but she won’t give an answer until the very end of the show when she calls him to tell him she’s ready to say yes.



I find myself reacting to Jesus’ invitation a lot like Carla’s initial response to Turk’s proposals. I get caught up in the questions and doubts. What about the future? Isn’t this too good to be true? Can it last? Are you who you say you are? Do I trust you?

BUT WHY? It’s more than a little ridiculous. Jesus’ question is bigger than Turk’s and praise God our Lord is more persistent. Not only that, but Christ will always be faithful to us, always love us, provide for us, and support us. We can turn to Him for every want and need and He will never leave us or abandon us. It's such a simple question: Will you dine with me? It’s a question I should say yes to so SAY IT!!! and don't just say it, DO IT!

He’s asking the question now and He’ll be asking it this summer. If we submit to the Lord’s will we will see lives changed and have the greatest week(s) of our lives. But after every conversation, every day, and every week the question is still the same. Our response? JUMP!!! (no diving. good one, Peter!) and give all we’ve got to seek our Lord and get closer with Him.

Happy Thursday, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment