Thursday, March 31, 2011

Take one down, pass it around LIMITLESS AMOUNTS OF GRACE ON THE WALL

There is a book out there that is awesome called The Bible. You've probably heard of it. But there are countless other books written by Christians out there, devotionals, encouraging words, challenges. And these books are pretty rad too. I wanted to share something I learned from one of these "other books." Brennan Manning wrote one called the Ragamuffin Gospel. In it Manning writes about how Peter was pretty much tearing himself up over denying Jesus, and that it was because he didn't understand that Jesus' love for him had no basis in what Peter could do. His strength, or ability to speak to others, or sweet hair cut and killer sneakers wasn't the factor that tipped the scale in Peter's favor. Manning writes, "The saved sinner is prostrate in adoration, lost in wonder and praise. He knows repentance is not what we do in order to earn forgiveness; it is what we do because we have been forgiven. It serves as an expression of gratitude rather than an effort to earn forgiveness." Yeah.

My experience with the Lord is different than Peter's, sure. We each have a unique walk. But I know that Peter and I both understood, to a certain extent, what Jesus was trying to say. I love you. Stop talking, Start listening. No really, I don't care about that... I love you. Its funny sometimes how hard it is to remember that. Day after day I see God filling my cup. Not just so that its full, but so that it overflows onto those around me. And it just keeps getting filled. How exciting that God promises to keep filling out cups. We don't have to grab a second cup, so we can save some of our overflow for later, rather, we can share it! SO GOOD!

2 comments:

  1. Kira!Oh my gosh I love this. I find it so hard sometimes to just sit and listen to God and know that he loves me. I always feel the need to talk and talk all the time and I think that really actually keeps me from him sometimes. This really hit me! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I constantly hear Jesus saying to me is "I love you, I really do care about that... because I love you! " Sometimes the reset button is set and we forget to remember grace! He loves us, He had grace on us!

    ReplyDelete