Monday, March 28, 2011

Smells like Up Dog!

As we look at this question of "Who smells life on you?" I think we also need to ask the question, "On whom do we smell life?" and why do they smell differently? As some students from Whitworth and I traveled downtown in the fall to serve these people, we realized that as we approached most of them, they may have literally smelt bad, but they spiritually smelt OH SO GOOD. I vividly remember this one man, Rick. Rick showed me and taught me a lesson that Jesus had been trying to instill in me for years. With him, Rick carried two things, a sleeping bag and a backpack. I automatically assumed the backpack was filled with a bunch of unnecessary goods, but after Rick had asked us if we were Christians, his eyes lit up. He snagged his backpack and tore it open, only to pull out one giant, heavily read bible. Besides a bag of beef jerky, that bible is the only thing he had in there! As I walked around town with Rick, he told me that although he was homeless, hungry, and practically friendless, he had found the key to life: Jesus! He reminded me that Jesus tells us to leave everything we have, to sell all of our possessions, and to follow Christ. I was amazed at this man's faith. All my life I had been told about the Pseudo-Jesus, who doesn't necessarily mean what he says - NO, what Jesus teaches in the Gospels is what Jesus intends for His followers to adhere to. Finally, near the end, Rick shared with me his favorite bible verse, which he knew by heart - I will never forget it. Isaiah 53:5-"But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed."
As we strive to love Christ, love people, and show our love for Christ to others, we must take up our cross and follow Him. Taking up our cross does not mean that we go grab a big piece of wood and carry it around with us everyday (although it could), rather it means that we ought to be living our lives in a way that show Christ, that show others, that show ourselves, that Christ DIED ON THE CROSS for us! And then, what is our response? Generally, we pray in the morning or at night, "Oh thanks God for today, it was great, you are cool. Ta-ta for now." We have this opportunity to have a relationship with the King of the Universe and it better smell! We need to be living our lives in such a way that when others see us - whether it's because we are sharing the Word, praying with someone, or just expressing uncontrollable joy - THEY SMELL US. But rather than smelling us and seeing what we are doing, they ought to be smelling Christ and life he has lead and continues to lead.
Well, it's time for me to go shower, but I hope that the stench of Christ remains on me today, tomorrow, and forever. It's a lifestyle.

3 comments:

  1. "Smells like Sup dog" cracked me up! May those you continue to share life with continually smell His fragrance on you Josh! It was only a few years ago when I saw Trav Bell give a homeless man some cash, did I think about doing so myself. And as Reid posted (somewhere) it is amazing to see how those whom we try and serve often have us to serve us with!

    Thanks for sharing this experience Josh

    ReplyDelete