Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Galatians 2:17-21

Part of today's devo came from Galatians 2:20. I love the passage it's set in.

17 "If, while we seek to be justified in Christ, it becomes evident that we ourselves are sinners, does that mean that Christ promotes sin? Absolutely not! 18 If I rebuild what I destroyed, I prove that I am a lawbreaker. 19 For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. 10 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21 I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!" (NIV)

On Sunday in the ski boat, Andy asked me what would hold me back from giving 110% of myself this summer. My response was this sense of not being good enough, which I now relate to what Paul calls "observing the law" in Galatians. Observing the law is not what brings righteousness, it is the grace of God. The grace of God has made me good enough, and Andy and the rest of Sonshine have reassured me of this time and again. To re-word my response to Andy in the ski boat, I don't give myself the grace that God gives me, and that holds me back. Then Andy turned to me and said, "I wouldn't be sending you out if I didn't think you were ready. It's not about skills and abilities, it's about character and behavior." That is so true. Like Reid said on Monday morning, this is where we have been called to this summer. God has prepared us for this and continues to do so through His grace. So hold on to that grace, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment