Wednesday, April 13, 2011

"But the One Who is the Greatest Among You Must Become Like the Youngest"

Two things crossed my mind when I read Luke 22:26-27. The first was humility, of course, and the second was child-like faith. Here, Christ is calling us to be like the youngest. Generally speaking, the youngest of the group have lived the least number of days. Therefore, it is fair to assume that if the age difference is large (such as 20 and 3) the younger has not had as many experiences and has the least amount of knowledge. I agree that in being called to be the youngest we are being asked to submit ourselves to those around us as if everyone were our elders. Treat everyone and serve everyone as if there is something that we can learn from them, something they can teach us because everyone can teach us something. I have been struggling with this recently. Being a Christian that goes to a Christian school and goes to church and reads her Bible and prays (ugh I'm disgusting myself already), I fall into the temptation of thinking I know it all when I DEFINITELY do not. I need to become like a child who looks at everybody as if I have so much to learn from them. Every experience is new and different. Jesus has so unbelievably much to teach me, and I believe he will use the campers to teach all of us. They will be learning directly from Jesus through our Christ-inspired actions and when he speaks through us. They will not be learning from us. The little girl in the video below melts my heart. She has no shame in admitting that she does not know the bible verse. She simply asks for the next line. Father, I pray that you mold me and that I grow into one of your children. Help me to not be ashamed to ask you and the people you have put in my life for the next line. Help me to recognize I do not know it all, and that only You do. I pray that you give the campers open hearts to learn from You this summer, and that you engrave humility upon all our hearts as a sign that we belong to You.

http://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=JJB9B1NU

1 comment:

  1. " I need to become like a child who looks at everybody as if I have so much to learn from them" - dude so humbling! I love this.

    ReplyDelete