Tuesday, April 5, 2011

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!"

Whenever I talk with friends or others around me about serving with Sonshine, they generally have the same response -- "That's awesome. Do you get paid?" When I tell them no, they get the same look on their face that tells me that they question my reasons for wanting to serve. To me, their faces say, "Why would you want to do that if you're not paid?" I don't want to be paid!!! It would feel wrong for me to be paid to answer the call to serve. I felt called to serve with Sonshine to minister to and love on the students and the youth staff that we encounter over the summer. It's not about me. It's about loving others and loving Christ. I don't approach this opportunity to serve with the attitude that I will be learning all about my relationship with Christ and serving others on the side. Heck no. I serve others and it just so happens that I also grow in my relationship with Christ and learn more about what it means to live my life for Christ. Ministry that lasts beyond the anguish of distress, tears, and crosses is not purpose driven but love inspired. My love for Christ and love for others is what motivates me to serve, not my hope that I will get something in return.

Matthew 5:16 says, In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. It is my hope that as we serve and love others, we shine BRIGHT with the love of Christ. Just as we smell of life, I hope that we shine with love. Let it shine guys! Live out your faith for Christ! Don't be the little light that gets blown out by Satan or hidden beneath a bush. Let it shine! Just as we talked about before, do not be ashamed of your faith. Let it radiate! Let others smell you and see you! Let the love that you have for others and for Christ shine bright.

May we be the light of Christ here on earth. May we share His love for others and pray that they see the light. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment