Friday, April 29, 2011

Stop running! COMMIT!

"But [my] heart must be fully committed to the Lord [my] God." 1 Kings 8:61

I often struggle with commitment. When things get tough, I am quick to want to run away.

It is easy to say I want to fully commit my heart daily to Christ. But in times when the committment becomes real, when that commitment is physically, emotionally, and spirtually crucifying myself with Christ, I struggle. The immense pressure of the discomfort, pain, sacrifice, and responsibility to committing and the racing thoughts of this is tough...this is exceedingly difficult...this is impossible - leaves me feeling like I just want to run away!

But if I am running away from the cross , then what am I running to? If I am running away from fully committing my heart to Christ, then what am I committing my heart to?
Lies! Unfullfillment! Self-destruction! The need to control my own life! Trust in myself! A false sense of comfort!

I know fully committing my heart to Him is the only way of live - that by fully committing I can experience a lifestyle of eternal rest. Yet fully committing my heart to Him daily is often a constant battle. But it is Him and through Him that I can commit.

Father, You want my heart. You want all of me. You want everything. Though growth requires immense pressure, keep me from wanting to run away when it feels too difficult. Help me remember that by fully committing everything, You bring more than everything. Daily, help me to physically, emotionally, and spiritually die with You on the cross. Help me yield my heart to You, to always be fully committed.



4 comments:

  1. "But if I am running away from the cross , then what am I running to? If I am running away from fully committing my heart to Christ, then what am I committing my heart to?"

    so great! so true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, it made me happy to come back from retreat and find this. :)

    Second of all, I really liked this:

    "But if I am running away from the cross , then what am I running to? If I am running away from fully committing my heart to Christ, then what am I committing my heart to?"

    I feel like we totally come to a place where we realize that what's actually so hard as to be impossible is running from the cross and the love that we see there. When we run, we try to get away from it, but He's coming after us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna - You definitely know running and . . . . you definitely know Jesus. Thanks for sharing how Jesus is re-creating eternal life in you. Faith, hope, and love abide in your words. Faith, hope, and love abide for eternity too. Eternal life is all over this post. Only God can create eternal life and clearly He's creating it in you. Yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenna - You definitely know running and . . . . you definitely know Jesus. Thanks for sharing how Jesus is re-creating eternal life in you. Faith, hope, and love abide in your words. Faith, hope, and love abide for eternity too. Eternal life is all over this post. Only God can
    create eternal life and clearly He's creating it in you. Yeah.

    ReplyDelete