Friday, April 29, 2011

A simple prayer

I remember last year when I was at the Barney retreat, Reid prayed this simple prayer that I have been praying ever since:
"God, glorify Your name."
It's so simple, but it covers so much ground.
I ran into it again in Thursday's devo, in John 12:28, and I can't stop thinking about it.

"God,..."
The very first word immediately brings our focus to where it always needs to be.

"...glorify..."
I like this definition of "glorify"- "to make clearer the glory of someone or something, usually God, through one's actions." Worship and praise isn't about music. It's about actions that glorify God's name. And as people called to live lifestyles of worship, we are called to glorify God with every one of our actions.

"...Your..."
We are brought back to where we need to focus. I know, not two words ago we were brought to focus, but there's a running theme in the Old Testament of the Israelites forgetting who their God is and what their God has done for them. One example of this is the reminder that Joshua had to give in the passage we read on Tuesday, and even in our very first devo a few weeks ago. Don't forget who God is and what He has done.
This word also helps us remember it is NOT our name that is glorified, but God's and God's alone.

"...name."
The name holds identity. It might not be like this today, but in the Bible a person's name said a lot about who that person was. What does God's name mean to you? Who is God? God for me is good- there is not the remotest trace of evil about Him. He is great- there is nothing more powerful than Him, nothing that can overcome Him or anyone who loves Him. He is more loving than I can even imagine... who has He shown you to be in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment