Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Broken serving Broken.


Ministry as an Idol. At Rain (Friday Night College Group thing) ministry as an idol has been brought up several times recently. When I go to serve what is it I'm looking for? Am I looking to find satisfaction for myself, to feel good about myself, or am I looking to humbly serve God. This question has plagued me because, honestly, I don't know how to answer it. I don't think I use Ministry as an Idol. I'd like to think I serve to please God, rather than to serve myself, but it is hard to know. I feel like I always am satisfied in ministry. Not that the satisfaction is a bad thing, I just hope it isn't subconsciously my real motivation.

Serving the broken, as one of the broken. I can't have a taste of bitterness or disgust in my mouth when I serve the people whose lives so closely resemble mine. I can't have anything but compassion and mercy for those whose burdens are crushing them, without the help and support of Jesus. But often the Devil places the idea in our hearts that we are somehow above those we serve. It is a LIE. Jesus dined with the tax collector and prostitutes. He came for the weary, and the sick. He extended his hand, literally, to those festering with disease. He healed the most broken through their faith. Those who had no other hope came to him.

We used to sing a song... "Cast your burdens [clap clap clap] unto Jesus [clap clap clap] he cares [clap clap clap] for you [clap clap clap]. I don't think I felt like I had any burdens when I was a kid. But now... It is scary to think of how helpless I am without Jesus, how my burdens would fall onto my back with a loud thunck, and quickly crush me. I pray that those who are struggling under the weight of their burdens, whatever they may be, would see the love and relief of knowing Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment