Thursday, April 21, 2011

Not Mine to Bear

I feel like I'm pretty familiar with guilt and shame, but it isn't mine to bear. To hold on to the shame and regret is ignoring the loving call of Jesus. By holding on to these feelings I ignore and belittle the sacrifice of our savior. This cup has already been taken from me and given to him, but I insist on holding on to it. I no longer have to face the wrath and judgement of the father, because the Son already bore my sins. When I wallow in pity and shame I'm telling God, "No really, I can carry this, I can handle it on my own; I think I'd rather hold onto this sin a bit longer." But He sees that I am moments from being crushed, He tells me this, He calls out to me, and I ignore him. In my life, I've frequently held on to my sins until they crushed me. Then at last I relinquish control and allow God to reconstruct my broken spirit.

I pray that I will give all of my burdens to God, because they aren't mine to hold onto anymore. I pray that he will relieve me, and leave me with a much larger load to bear, the message of his love, which rather than crushing me, fulfills me. To the cross today, I pray that I carry the love of my Father, rather than my hurts and regret. I praise God because he has created me whole and new, without blemish. I pray that when I turn my face from Him that he would call me back, and I would listen.

2 comments:

  1. " I've frequently held on to my sins until they crushed me. Then at last I relinquish control and allow God to reconstruct my broken spirit."

    That's almost too true to bear. The beauty of his mercy and grace is that he allows us to get crushed, so that we relinquish control. He is the one with the knowledge of good and evil, he knows the proper way to live life, and he loves us enough to break us down so that he can build us up on solid foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this reminder. Recently, God has been showing me that these things I've been holding onto, I shouldn't be holding (like you said). But He's also been teaching me that trying to give them up one morning and thinking everything is going to be alright isn't how to go about it either.

    Daily, we give our burdens to him. Daily, he takes them from our shoulders. Daily, we are made new. If I think I've let go of everything after one time, I'm beginning to realize that usually I haven't. I hold onto that last little string, and with that am able to pull it all back to myself. Everyday I have to give him more and more of that string. Until, I don't have any of it.

    ReplyDelete