Tuesday, April 26, 2011

week 4: sacrifice

reflecting on last week I can't help but think this is exactly what we were made for. to sacrifice. To live impassioned lives, to have hearts that were made to burn and ache, and desire. We were given such powerful and purpose driven lives, and that purpose is so centered around sacrifice.

Having played soccer all my life I have to admit that my favorite part of the game is the fight. I love the one on one, shoulder to shoulder battle in the final third of the field. At the beginning of each game my dad used to tell me to leave it all on the field. In the quiet right before the whistle blew I could always hear my dad yell, "get hungry em!" every game, without fail. I love that idea of giving all of yourself to something, having worked so hard you left everything you had behind, you didn't hold onto anything, or save any of yourself for yourself, you gave it all. I love the idea of wanting something so bad you hunger for it. By the end of the game, head down, sweating, muscles aching, lungs burning, knowing I laid myself on the line for my team I can't help but think like thats the way we're always supposed to feel.

When I stand before Jesus at the end of this life and He asks me, "did you leave it all on the field?" I want to say Yes. I want to stand there bruised and broken, sweating, muscles aching, lungs burning, heart full, knowing I gave every piece of me.

3 comments:

  1. You remind me of what an amazing privilege and gift it is to be able to love God at all, let alone, to love God in the way that you describe - with heart, mind, and strength. To love and live with Christ's heart is an incredible gift of grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You remind me of what an amazing privilege and gift it is to be able to love God at all, let alone, to love God in the way that you describe -
    with heart, mind, and strength. To love and live with Christ's heart is an incredible gift of grace.

    ReplyDelete