Monday, April 11, 2011

Faithful Streams

Throughout my time at the youth group at my home church, we had mission trips to Tijuana, Mexico to build homes. This has been a tradition at my church for a number of years -- I personally have been on 5 trips to TJ. We recently celebrated the 1000 home built in TJ. A number of years ago, one of the staff at the time, wrote a song called "Humble Me." Whenever I think of humility, I think of this song. This song was a favorite of my youth group. They made a recording of it and I have it on my computer. I often find myself listening to it because it is so good. One of the lyrics is "your rich valleys fed by faithful streams." Of the million times that I have heard this song or sung it while at church, I have never really thought about this line until I read today's devotional. There was one thought that rang through my mind... Are we the faithful streams? This might take a minute for what's in my mind to come to coherent words but bear with me... What if we are the streams that are faithful to our Father as we humbly flow in the valleys... What if the valleys are those we serve? What if the valleys are those we love? What if the valleys are those that we listen to? What if the valleys are those that we lead? When I think of streams, I think of quiet, flowing waters, flowing the in the direction they are guided. We are the streams, humbly flowing with Christ as our guide. We are quiet as we listen to those who add their input. We humbly accept criticism. We humbly "flow" into others as leaders. What if we are the streams? Think about it. We are guided by a power greater than us... we "flow" into others just as a stream flows into something greater. What if we are the faithful streams? We are the streams with the purpose of humbly flowing into others.

I have no idea if this was the message or idea that Pear had when he wrote this song or if this was anywhere near what he was trying to say, but this is what is in my mind. As soon as I started today's devotional, my mind went to this song. I really wish there was a way that I could share the song in its entirety with you all because it is so good but unfortunately, I am not great with technology. To be completely honest, I have no idea if what I just said makes any sense to you all but I felt like I needed to get all of it out. I wish there was a way I could let you hear what was in my mind without me actually having to explain it... but this will have to do. I am loving this image of being faithful streams -- of being guided by Christ as we serve, love and lead others. What's awesome is this doesn't just apply to our time on the Delta or Shasta. This applies to everything!!! As we go about our lives, may we be living, flowing, humble streams.

Am I reaching?

Lord, I pray that as we continue to prepare for this summer, may you help us to understand your will. May we flow as easily as a stream with you as our guide. May we humbly serve, love and lead you and others. Be our guide Lord. I pray that we may be the faithful streams that you call us to be. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful imagery, Lauren.

    I love it. I love how streams follow a set course- one that was formed when the mountains were shaped.

    I love the insight into the gentle power of streams. It's cool how streams come from a source and they start out so small, but gain size and strength as they combine and run together.

    ReplyDelete