Thursday, April 7, 2011

Avalanche

I'm a little behind on posts, and by a little behind I mean this is my first post....anywaysss. I wanted to write about last Tuesday. The verse was 2 Corinth 3:17 "Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." I studied this chapter a few weeks ago and realized just how sweet this chapter is. Earlier, in verse 2-3 Paul says "You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by everybody. You show that you are letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts." Ok so back up one sec, review what Paul is saying here - we are a letter [of recommendation] from Christ, He writes this letter with His Spirit, and He writes it on our hearts - His Spirit is written on our hearts. Fast forward to verse 17 - "...where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." Sooooo by the transitive property [if a = b and b = c then a = c] the Spirit which is in our hearts means freedom is in our hearts. How sick is that? "where the Spirit of the Lord is there is freedom" - the Spirit is in our heart! There is freedom in our heart! Gahh soo good. We have freedom in our hearts because the Spirit of the Living God lives in our hearts. Our wretched, broken hearts hold Jesus Christ because they have been made new by His sacrifice. It blows my mind.

My second point I wanted to add. Romans 6:16 says "Dont you know that when you offer yourselves to someone to obey him as slaves, you are slaves to the one whom you obey - whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or obedience, which leads to righteousness." Heres the deal, whether people like it or not, they are a slave to something - God, science, work, people, atheism - something holds their obedience. Slavery, however, has become this taboo phrase in today's culture - most people think of the brutality and broken human rights that came with it. Slavery, however, in its purest form is a beautiful thing. Its a perfect relationship. Its purest form is between us and God. The irony is, this term which makes people think of bondage and chains, brings FREEDOM through Christ. By definition freedom = the state of being free or at liberty rather than in confinement or under physical restraint. Slavery and freedom are supposed to be in complete opposition to each other. But with Christ they go hand in hand. Slavery to righteousness. What a sweet sweet thought.

Lastly, almost done, I promise. I titled my post "Avalanche," as you all can see. I dont know if you guys have heard it, but "Avalanche" is a song on Hillsongs new cd. And Oh my goodness its so so good. Reading this devo about freedom made me think about this song and this line:

"And I find myself here on my knees again, caught up in grace like an avalanche. Nothing compares to this love, love, love burning in my heart."

SO. GOOD. I have attached the link for this song on youtube. Please listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ2_Gg6ka-k

1 comment:

  1. Chelsea! I love your post. So good. I love the line that slavery in its purest form is a beautiful thing. You are so right, we often think of slavery as a negative thing. But to think of it as our perfect relationship with Christ is so good. Freedom in Christ -- love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete