Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Which part am I?

I have read this section of scripture so many times but how quickly do I forget that I am a part of a greater body? Forgetting this has two effects. The first is helplessness, not knowing what you can offer the kingdom. The second is pride, thinking that you have more to offer the kingdom than others. Sometimes I identify with the first one, but so often I find myself assuming that people need me for so many things. I need to recognize and embrace the gifts that God has given me, but this in no way means that I can be an arm and claim responsibility for the actions of the nose. If I am an arm, my purpose is not even to pick things up, I am a bridge from the shoulder to the hand. I am a helper. The work of the arm will go unnoticed when it is the hand that picks things up, writes things down, and even holds another in affection or in consolation. The arm thrusts the hand in the sky to wave at a friend and offers the hand to help those in need. If the arm is broken, things become difficult, but for the most part, the hand retains its function. I am an arm. The more I think of myself as doing the work of both the arm and the hand, the more I am deceived by my own pride. A proud person will never be a hand because its actions require humility. It is delicate yet durable and handles so many things. It gets dirty. It needs the arm to extend it out, but the arm needs it to serve its purpose. The arm is separate from the hand but the two are joined in unity. However, I must be careful not to take credit for the work of the hand or try and force myself into the position of the hand, because the arm and the hand do different things. If an arm tries to do the work of the hand, things will simply get pushed around inefficiently. But if I, the arm, assist the hand instead of working against it trying to exercise authority over it, an amazing thing will happen. God's design will show through and the body will function properly.
Lord, help me to relinquish my false authority over the hand and be the arm you made me to be.

1 comment:

  1. BAZINGA. Elizabeth, that is so convicting. "The work of the arm will go unnoticed..." That is what being a servant is all about. To continue serving even if no recognition is given. May we all know that we are all equally essential to the body despite the praise we may or may not receive.

    ReplyDelete