Friday, April 15, 2011

Say a little prayer for you

I think I've always underestimated the power of prayer. And I think the reason for this is that deep down I feel like God's power isn't quite good enough, and I need to take action too in order to accomplish whatever it is I'm praying about.
My friends have been very stressed these past couple of weeks, and I've just really wanted to do something about it. I've picked them flowers and brought them tea and little things like that to to try to encourage them, but I still felt powerless to help them. One of my other friends asked me if I was praying for these stressed friends, and I said "yes I've been praying, but I'm a woman of action and I feel like I need to do something." She then grabbed me, and, shaking me, exclaimed: "Karly, prayer IS action!" This really hit me.
I think, deep down, I've always thought of prayer as sort of a cop-out, what you do when every other option has failed. But it isn't! It should be the very first thing we do when confronted with anything! Praying for someone is just as important, if not more important, than tangibly helping someone. And I realized that the reason that I felt that way about prayer was that I haven't been humble in my heart before God - I didn't really believe that His power was enough. And later that night, in Bible study, one of my stressed friends said that "the best way to love someone and take care of them is to let God take care of them." I hadn't trusted God with my friends' well being. Which is completely silly, because He loves my friends more than I could possibly imagine!
Our God is so good, and is all-powerful and cares for my friends in a way that I will never be able to. This week He has taught me to trust Him not with my own life, but my friends' lives as well, and He has reminded me of His wonderful power. And I've come to love Him even more because of it!

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Rom. 8:37-39

No comments:

Post a Comment