Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Insight from the Almighty :)

Reading this morning's devotional, I was really reminded that growing our faith DEMANDS immense pressure. In order to grow in our faith, God puts us in trying situations that we may perceive in the moment as requiring more faith than we possess. This
reminded me of a quote that ironically, with some help from the internet, I discovered comes from Bruce Almighty:

"Let me ask you something. If someone prays for patience, you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient? If he prayed for courage, does God give him courage, or does he give him opportunities to be courageous?"

When I pray for God to grow my faith, am I expecting that when the next difficult situation comes along, I will suddenly find the God-granted necessary faith with no problem? Or do I see the difficulty as a God-granted opportunity to step up and grow and strengthen my faith? I know I can easily fall into that second mentality and get frustrated when I find myself doubting or struggling with something I am uncertain about. But that is what faith is! Believing in something without tactile proof! Its not supposed to be easy, its hard and it puts us under pressure! Just like any learned skill, strengthening one's faith takes hard work, perseverance, and pain as we allow our minds, bodies, and spirits to be crucified with Christ.

4 comments:

  1. Conner, this is great!

    First off... I'm in the same boat as you... I had no idea that quote was from Bruce Almighty, but I love it.

    Secondly, I love how you write. You write so clearly and by the time I got to the end of your post I was (internally) shouting "yes! that's what faith is!".

    This has been a recent struggle of mine and place I am being challenged. Thank you for your insights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conner,

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this day of study. I was really wrestling with the idea of what kind of pressure God puts in our life to sharpen our faith. Thanks for expressing yourself and helping clarify things for me, you answer my questions for clarity from God.

    And thank you for quoting Bruce Almighty! One of my all time favorite movies! Such a good movie because so much good ideas and concepts are stuck in there! Like this quote! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Bruce Almighty, Bruce receives the signs but not the substance and abuses Grace (Jennifer Anniston) When, through pressure, He surrenders the signs, and is filled with the substance Bruce, instead of abusing Grace, marries grace and poetically and beautifully at the end of the movie freely gives his blood for his life has been transfused/filled with new wine and a new heart. Great movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Bruce Almighty, Bruce receives the signs but not the substance and abuses Grace (Jennifer Anniston.)

    When, through pressure, he surrenders the signs, and is filled with the substance Bruce, instead of abusing Grace, marries grace and poetically and beautifully at the end of the movie freely gives his blood for his life has been transfused/filled with new wine and a new heart. Great movie.

    ReplyDelete